After dinner last night I went back to the workshop and did some more work on my block. I gradually tidied it up, proofing several times before I was happy (8 I think!) and then printed some light on dark versions, experimenting with different paper thicknesses and types. Here are some of the light prints on the drying rack:
This morning I finally got round to doing a 2nd cut (at least, I think that's what it's called!) It's a bit tricky to visualise how the next colour will work out when you are working on the block but I'm sure that gets easier with practise!
We used 2 very heavy metal bars to help line up for the 2nd print. You can see my inked-up block is bottom left. The Victorian press we used was lovely - I should have got a decent photo of it.
My print after adding the 2nd colour:
A selection of prints made by everyone on the course. Lots of lovely work and it was all really different too.
I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, although I could have done with another day to work on my prints. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do a 3rd colour but I've learnt loads and I really want to try doing some more printing at home. Jane is a great tutor - really supportive and encouraging. She gave us lots of useful information on supplies etc. I'm going to buy some of the special inks she recommended (by Caligo - they are vegetable-oil based and clean up with water. Much easier for using at home) and a few other bits and see how I get on.
My prints are all spread out on my big table drying now! I'll take a photo of them tomorrow when it's light.